Thursday, July 30, 2009

Conservative Radicalism

Alright, so I know it's been a while since my last post. But thanks to people prodding me along and me getting over my laziness, I finally came up with an idea for a blog. In my past two blogs, I brought up some problems that I have begun to see in American society. Destructive progress and a subjective society. America today is nothing like what it was 250 years ago, when a group of people realized the potential that a free country could have. Today we see attacks on the free market in the name of "greed," we see attacks on racists in the name of "justice," we see attacks on big business in the name of "environmentalism." These are just to name a few. There are attacks on education in the name of "open-mindedness," attacks on religion in the name of "freedom." We are in a culture that needs to be politically correct, constantly appeasing and constantly compromising.

The dictionary defines conservatism as "the inclination, especially in politics, to maintain existing or traditional order." Maintain existing or traditional order. What happens when the existing order is no longer the traditional order? What happens when the existing order goes against everything conservatism was trying to protect? Whether you like it or not, we are living in and moving more and more towards a liberal culture, with people who are doing everything in their power to promote their agenda. Conservatism can no longer remain conservative, it is time for conservatism to become radical.

Now if you are reading this, I do not mean an extreme or insane kind of radical. Often when people hear radical nowadays, they think of terrorists or some nut who is trying to spread an extreme theory. This is not the radical I am talking about. I am talking about a conservatism that no longer "maintains existing order," but which actually undermines the current order to restore traditional order and values. I have to credit this idea to a book that I am currently reading called Letters to a Young Conservative by Dinesh D'Souza, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys what I have to say in my blog.

We have the ability to restore traditional order, to turn America back to its greatness and to progress as a country the way our Founders intended. But this will never happen through passiveness. This will only happen when conservatives decide to become radical and actively work towards changing the "new culture." Speak your mind, oppose the trends, be politically incorrect. People won't like it, and you will be accused many different things, but don't be discouraged. Dinesh D'Souza writes, "One has to be brave to defy these taboos and threats, and that is why one of the most important qualities needed among campus conservatives is courage." Stay strong, stay bold, and most importantly ask God for the strength, boldness, and opportunities to radically change the American culture.

1 comment: